Wednesday, July 8, 2015

hotel review: the palazzo in las vegas


(Las Vegas, Nevada).   Another trip to Vegas. Another hotel.  At times I can’t even remember which hotels I’ve been to before since many of them seem almost the same in Vegas…I guess it’s the little things that differentiate them for me now – i.e., proximity and convenience to good food and shopping.  This time we stayed at the Palazzo, which I deduced I have been to before and yet I couldn't remember much about it.  Clearly my age is starting to show, but then again, I've never had a particularly good memory... 

So how was it this time???







Check-in:  We arrived quite early and the front desk clerk was kind enough to get us into our room early on a busy holiday weekend.  After a 4 ½ hour drive it was nice to be able to settle into our room.  And what a room it was!



Room:  The room was very spacious and well appointed.  Like most high-end hotels in Las Vegas, the standard room is a suite with a bedroom and living room area.  Some nice extra touches were the three TVs (one in each area, plus a smaller TV in the bathroom) and the super effective blackout drapes which are easily controlled via remote control.  We had a nice view of the Venetian pool and Treasure Island across the street. 




What annoyed me (and what consistently annoys me in many hotels) is the lack of a coffee maker.  It seems to be a trend in Las Vegas to force you to either order room service or trek a mile for a cup of coffee.  (OK, I exaggerate, but just the walk to the elevator is usually quite a stretch).   Argh.



But all in all – a very comfortable and nice room.  Bed and linens felt crisp and luxurious.  The L-shaped sofa was less comfortable but tolerable. 




The bathroom was large with a separate shower and tub and toilet room.  As an added bonus, there was a little vanity area which was nice for doing makeup and hair.  Super strong water pressure and lots and lots of hot water for the large, deep tub.  It was awesome to take a super hot bath while watching TV.  (Note – before I use any tub in a hotel room, I wash it with super hot water and shampoo.)




Service:  Service was consistently good throughout, but to be honest, other than check-in and check-out and housekeeping, I didn’t really come into contact with anybody at the hotel.  But I have no complaints.



Food:  I didn’t order room service this time but the Venetian has a lovely array of restaurants.  We had breakfast at Grand Luxe Café a few times because our suite came with breakfast credit and the food was really solid for breakfast.  There was a Coffee Bean and a juice place near the elevator bank (lobby level) which was helpful for a morning pick-me-up, but the price of the juices!  Good lord!  I think my juices were $12 each (eek)!



We also tried db brasserie and Yardbird and they were both quite good – reviews to come.  Overall, I’m quite pleased with the selection of restaurants here – from low to high-end with a nice assortment of cuisines.




Pool/Cabana:  For a cabana you have to reserve AND then they require you to check in between 9-10am to secure your cabana.  I guess they give the extra ones to high rollers or something?  I arrived at 9am and there was already a little line.  I waited about 10-15 minutes and then I was assigned a cabana guy who showed me to the cabana.



I chose one near the pool and the restroom and far away from the loud music.  Unlike the SLS pool the music was kept at a reasonable level.  The cabana included a TV, ceiling fan, several comfy lounge chairs, a safe and a mini fridge.  For the price of the cabana ($650) you get the cabana itself (which fits about 8-10 people), some bottled water and a fruit platter.  Any food or other beverages are extra.  It’s really only worth it if you have a large group of people.



Service was great at the cabana – our cabana guy was attentive without being annoying.  Very cute and All-american looking.




Shopping – I really enjoy the shopping at the Palazzo which is more high-end (i.e., Barneys New York, Michael Kors, Guerlain, Louboutin, etc.) but it’s also connected to the Venetian canal shoppes so you get an even larger choice of shops.  There’s a particularly large Sephora if you enjoy makeup.  If you get tired while shopping, there’s a bar – Helix – that has a really nice selection of scotch and whiskey and a nice gelato place where you can get an affogato (mmm gelato with espresso).



The Palazzo is also across the street from the large shopping mall and is linked by a bridge to the Wynn. 



Overall – I really enjoyed my stay at the Palazzo this time and I would recommend it.  But if I had to choose between the Palazzo or the Wynn, I think I would still pick the Wynn.  It’s just a bit prettier and their service just has a little extra somethin somethin.

No comments:

Post a Comment