Wednesday, February 17, 2016

my beauty must-buys when i'm in japan

On my last trip to Japan, I did A LOT of research on what to buy in the beauty and skincare department and returned with quite a haul from both high-end (e.g., Isetan and Takayashima Department Stores) and drugstore (e.g., Don Quijote, Bicqlo, etc.).  After a few months of trying a lot of the products, I have already discovered firm favorites that I know I will repurchase next time I go to Japan.  (And yes, I plan to return!)



They include in no particular order:


  • SKII products - especially the Facial Treatment Essence, Facial Masks, and the Clear Lotion which I use religiously in my normal skincare routine.  I stock up when I'm in Japan since it is usually cheaper there than in the US.  (Otherwise I wait for the VIB sales at Sephora to get 20% off.)  On this last trip I also picked up a SKII R.N.A. serum but I am not yet convinced of its efficacy so the jury is still out.
  • Allie sunblock spf 50 - This is a fantastic sunblock for the face and a wonderful drugstore discovery.  It has a very thin, watery texture and just sinks into the skin lightly.  It doesn't make me breakout and wears beautifully under makeup.  Absolutely love this and will definitely stock up next time.  (I think I saw a youtuber - Melodee Morita - recommend this and decided to give it a try.  So glad I did!)
  • Diamond false lashes - Another great, affordable drugstore discovery.  I'm not very good at applying false lashes but these are super easy to wear and look so pretty and natural.  Literally my favorite false lashes to wear.  I'll be sad when I run out ...
  • kiss Mat Chiffon UV Base N (Moist) SPF26 PA++ -  Another Melodee Morita recommendation.  It's a drugstore mattifying primer with SPF and I think it's my favorite primer right now.  My skin normally doesn't get along well with primers - I've tried so many - Hourglass, Becca, YSL, Murad, Benefit, etc. etc., - and they usually break me out, make me feel greasier or my makeup separate or don't do much of anything.  This one however actually does mattify my T-zone area and seems to keep my foundation on longer.  And it does not break me out!  
  • Dolly Wink eyeliner - This is one of my most reliable liquid eyeliners and is extremely easy to use.  But it can be kind of expensive in the US ($21 or so).  In Japan, however, I believe I paid under $10.
  • CanMake Blushes - I think I like this one just because it's so cute, but I do like the pop of pink it gives me and seems to last a while.  They would make nice little gifts for girlfriends.  I did notice most of the makeup in Japan falls in the pastel category which isn't really my thing, but it's still fun to browse. 
  •  Others:
    •  Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil - I personally like the green one which is the antioxidant formula.  Always reliable and cheaper in Japan.  They also make a killer lash curler.
    • Sheet masks - generally there are masks everywhere.  Pick some up for yourself and as gifts!
    • Cute nail art - I'm terrible with manicures but there were so many cute stickers and appliques nail art.  So cute!
Random Note - Cure Natural Aqua Gel - This is the best selling face exfoliant in Japan and it's often recommended by beauty gurus.  I tried a sample from a beauty store in Little Tokyo in Los Angeles and I found it to be too harsh for me.  If you don't have sensitive skin, you may like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment