Monday, January 25, 2016

restaurant review: chote chitr in bangkok

I was very excited to finally eat Thai food in Thailand - except there, they just called it food. For my (and the lovely Mr. Sazy Rock's) first meal, we headed to the old city and sought out Chote Chitr, one of the oldest restaurants in the city. The hubs has previously dined here on a prior visit and it made such an impression on him that he wanted to see how things have changed (or not changed) since his last visit. I was more than happy to indulge him as it meant I was going to eat. (Contrary to anecdotal theories that heat and humidity suppress the appetite, mine has always maintained a constant level of needing to feed my tummy.)
Chote Chitr.

The Scene

When we arrived close to noon, the place - a small, 6-table restaurant - was empty. Indeed, it remained empty the whole time we were there. This did not really bother me but it seemed odd that no one else was there.


The Service

The owner (or manager) was sitting at a table looking at receipts and, after looking at an extensive menu, she was more than happy to suggest dishes. Our food was prepared to order and served by the same lady who was cooking in the kitchen. They both seemed really nice and friendly. 



The Food
  • Spicy Banana Leaf Salad - As the name of the dish suggests, it was spicy. But, it was also sour. The flavor a were well balanced.
Spicy Banana Leaf Salad.
  • Kang Kua Kung (I think is what is called) - Red curry with bitter leaf (bitter, sweet, sour, spicy) and generous portions of shrimp with part of the head that has the roe. I adored this dish maybe because the shrimp had a lot of roe or maybe because the flavors were balanced. Either way, it was so good.
Kang Kua Kung.
  • Mee Krob - The noodles were crisp and sweet. The shrimp was crunchy and tasty.
Mee Krob.

The Price

With a couple of sodas, our meal was under 500 Baht (about under $15). I suppose we could have eaten more cheaply but for such a tasty meal, it was well worth the price.

The Verdict

I thoroughly enjoyed my first meal in Thailand. My appetite was absolutely sated - albeit temporarily - and I recommend Chote Chitr.



What's your favorite Thai dish?

No comments:

Post a Comment