Wednesday, January 6, 2016

how i got around tokyo (and kyoto) with my suica card and tokyo metro app!

Tokyo has so much to see but the attractions can be a bit spread out and taxis are also a bit expensive (but the service and cleanliness can't be beat).  So how did I get around in Tokyo more economically?





With my trusty SUICA card (basically a reloadable subway car that works on the subways and most trains in Tokyo, as well as Kyoto) and the Tokyo Metro app!
 
Just find the "English" option and follow the directions.


I got the SUICA card at a kiosk at Ebisu station and was able to use it to get around all of Tokyo.  The Japanese have an amazing public transportation system and it's amazingly clean!  It was super easy to use the public transportation - especially since the signs were in both Japanese and English, and were color-coded.  I was also able to use my SUICA card at most vending machines and the 7-elevens and Family Marts.  This way I didn't have to deal with trying to take out cash/coins for every purchase. In the larger stations, you can easily find kiosks to reload (there is an "English" option).  But in some smaller stations, I did have to ask the station staff to help me to figure out where and how to reload.  (Asking meant I pointed to my card and looked a little helpless and the staff was nice enough to walk me to the right place.)
 
Japan has amazing vending machines everywhere! They'll have stickers/signs that tell you if they accept SUICA cards.


The app was very helpful if you know your starting and end stops - just type them in and the app will give you different options - depending on what line/train you are closest to.  I was also able to use Google Map (the public transit function) and it would provide pretty accurate and real-time directions.

I really enjoyed checking out the different stations - the larger stations have wonderful eateries and snacks; and it was cool seeing real Japanese people going about their normal business.  During commuter hours, it was crazy to see the amount of people rushing through the stations - but since this is Japan - everybody was polite and orderly.  But remember to go with the flow; sometimes there are arrows on the ground showing  you what direction you should be going. For example, some staircases - you have to be on the right side to go down; and others you have to be on the left side.  Otherwise you could cause a "traffic jam" and annoy people.

Oh another tip - the Japanese are very quiet people.  It's considered rude to be talking and laughing loudly in public, confined places.  On the train, most people are quietly reading or listening to their headsets.  If people are talking it's basically whispering.  There was one ride where there were some Australians who were having a fun time talking loudly - which would be totally normal in any other place - but in Japan, it's considered rude.  No Japanese person actually said anything - they just sort of gave a surprised glance and then they all slowly shifted away from the Australians to the other side of the train.

For each SUICA card purchase there is about a $5 deposit which you can get refunded.  I didn't bother with getting the refund since I know I'll be back in Japan in the next few years and my card will still be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment