Wednesday, December 9, 2015

gift ideas for a female traveler

I've been on lots of trips and there are a few things I rely on heavily when I'm on the go.  As Christmas is coming upon us quickly, I thought I would list some of my favorites, which would make lovely gifts for the (female) traveler in your life. 
My trusty old Bose - with hello kitty sticker.


Noise Cancelling Headphones.  
There are lots of different kinds of noise cancelling headphones but my tried and true are the Bose headsets.  They range from $300-$400.  It's a bit of an investment but totally worth it!  The biggest pleasure is to block out all the ambient noise on a plane, which I didn't realize was giving me a headache on every flight I took before finally taking the plunge and buying my Bose headphones.  My old pair has lasted over 5 years and is still going strong!  For anyone who likes to travel (or just simply enjoys good sound quality), a pair of noise cancelling headphones would be a wonderful (as well as practical) gift!  I actually got my husband (or then boyfriend) a pair years ago and he can't travel without them now either.

My mini collection of Tieks.

Tieks.
Tieks are perfect for travel - lightweight, comfortable and they barely take up any space in luggage.  And more importantly for gift giving purposes, they are CUTE!  Usually I wear my Tieks on the plane since they are so comfortable and easy to slip on and off.  I love them so much I keep getting additional colors to add to my collection.  And I can't count the number of times I get stopped on the streets by other women who see the distinctive blue detail on the heel of the shoes.  They usually also love Tieks or are curious about them.  I know I would love getting another pair under the Christmas tree!  They range from $175-$345.  You can read my previous review here.

I've already tested this out in Berlin, Paris and Tokyo!

Crossbody bag that is light, water resistant, and has lots of pockets and zippered compartments. 
I've purchased and discarded (which means giving away to friends or Goodwill) many many "travel" purses.  Unlike when I'm home, I don't want to carry designer brand purses when I travel.  I'd rather be low-key and not brand myself as a target for shoplifters.  Therefore I'm always looking for a travel purse that is lightweight, yet durable, and can carry what I would need when I'm out and about on vacation (i.e., purse, passport, ipad, phone, sunglasses, a small makeup bag, and a bottle of water).  I don't expect it to be super cute, but I also don't want a terribly dowdy looking bag.  Recently I came across this Victorinox Altmont bag and it was perfect for me!  Perfect size, water resistant and easy to clean, with lots of outside and inner compartments.  It's about $40 and would be a super useful gift for a city traveler.
 

 Sheet masks.
Whenever I travel, my skin gets very dehydrated on the plane or just generally out of whack due to the different time zones, climates, sleeping schedules and the like.  In recent years, I've been able to combat this to some extent by putting on a sheet mask on during the flight and then using sheet masks during my trip, as needed.  A set of sheet masks would be a lovely gift for your avid traveler (or any lady who likes spa treatments).  They range greatly in price and are readily available at all department stores, Sephora or other beauty stores.  For high-end, SKII masks can't be beat for a luxurious and effective facial treat.  But there are plenty more affordable choices, especially in Asian beauty stores (Korean or Japanese).

Travel candle set. 
Being able to light a nice candle in a hotel room is very relaxing and calming, and can bring a bit of "home" to strange, new surroundings.  Or more practically, it can help freshen a musty or weird smelling room.  I don't always remember to bring my but I know there have been times I regretted not having any mini candles.  Some of my favorite travel candles - Bath and Body Works, Henri Bendel, Nest, and Diptyque.

But the best gift for the avid traveler would be... a trip of course!

Happy Gifting!  

No comments:

Post a Comment