Thursday, August 28, 2014

daycation in marina del rey (paddleboarding, water bus, fisherman's village, etc.)

Paddleboarding on a sunny day!
(Marina Del Rey, USA).  Like most Californians, I live only about 20 minutes from the beach and yet I rarely ever venture to the westside to enjoy the ocean.  I think most people assume all Californians spend their days on sandy beaches being tanned and sporty, but that is really only true for a tiny percentage of people who are lucky enough to live right next to the water.  But now that summer is almost over, I was determined to enjoy my proximity to the ocean.   And what better way to do that then to give paddle boarding a try?


Fortunately, my friend who lives in Marina Del Rey was gracious enough to take me on my very first paddleboarding adventure.  We started the day lounging by the pool in her complex - which was like being at a beach resort.  Whenever I spend any amount of time on the westside, I can understand why people are willing to pay a premium to live so close to the beach.  But then I think of the horrible commute to my job in downtown and that desire fades quickly since I hate driving.  Regardless, it's nice to visit on weekends.

After our fabulous pool time, we headed to Mother's Beach to rent some paddleboards ($25 per hour).  I was a bit nervous but I figured the worse thing that could happen would be that I fall into the water ... but since the water didn't look so clean, I was pretty determined not to let that happen.  As the weather was spectacular the rental place was very busy and we had to wait about 15 minutes to get our boards.  During our wait we watched a yoga class on paddleboards out on the water ... craziness!  My friend is dying to try out a class, but I think I'll pass.  I don't even like yoga on land - I don't see why that would change if I was trying to balance precariously on a board.  Anyways, I digress ....Once we got our boards we didn't hesitate to venture out into the water!
Yoga on water?  Who would have thunk it?

I did manage to stand up a few times but mostly I was wimpy and stayed on my knees.  But it was still amazing to be out on the water enjoying the amazing weather.  Paddleboarding is definitely a workout for your core and arms.  Paddling out from the beach was a breeze. Turning and returning against the wind and current was not easy - but it was still fun!  I would recommend this activity for anyone who likes water sports.  (Tip - don't be an idiot like me and stay on your knees too long. At some point my legs fell asleep and I couldn't stand at all even if I really wanted to.  But luckily I made it back and once the the blood started circulating in my legs, I was as good as new.)

We were famished after our paddleboarding adventure so we had a quick poolside lunch.  My friend mentioned that there is a water bus in Marina del Rey (only $1 each way) and we decided to check it out.  I had never even heard of the water bus and I've lived in SoCal for over 30 years.  It was such a lovely way to see the marina.  We took a ride over to the Fisherman's Village and grabbed a drink at Whiskey Red's.  There was also a summer live concert happening at the time.  How can anyone not enjoy summer in Marina del Rey?  (Unfortunately the water bus only runs during the summer and the last day is Labor Day.)
Free live music in Fisherman's Village.

I think most people think a vacation requires one to travel long distances to foreign or exotic places.  But sometimes there are wonderful experiences and adventures that are close to home.  I had a wonderful time spending a Saturday on my "daycation".  It definitely refreshed and invigorated me (although my aching legs may disagree).  After all, a plane ticket isn't a requisite to true relaxation which is simply a state of mind.
Check out the wildlife - see the seal?

No comments:

Post a Comment