Wednesday, August 31, 2016

hotel review: le meridien nice


(Nice, France).  For our stay in Nice, we chose to stay at Le Meridien Nice - mainly because we got the entire duration of our stay on Starwood points.  Nothing really beats free.  

However, I have to admit that when our uber driver pulled up to the hotel I was a bit disappointed, especially after seeing the other grand hotels during the drive.  The outside of the hotel left quite a lot to be desired - sort of outdated and adjacent to a large McDonalds.  Don't get me wrong - I enjoy McDonalds occasionally but I don't usually want it attached to my hotel.  But was I too quick to judge?

Check-In
Very smooth and easy.  The reception was not warm but was acceptable and polite.  As a Starwood Gold member, they offered me faster Wi-Fi but I don't think we actually used it... the standard free Wi-Fi was sufficient for our use.

Location
The hotel is located right on the Promenade des Anglais - across the street from the beach, close to loads of shopping and restaurants and a short walk to the Cours Saleya (the old town area where the famous flower market is located) and Castle Hill.  It's only about a 10-15 minute drive from the airport.



When we came, it was only a few weeks after the attack on the promenade so there were several memorials near the hotel for the victims.  The main one we saw was in a park across the street from the hotel, where there was a merry-go-round (along with groups of teenagers paying Pokemon Go...).


Overall, I really enjoyed the location of the hotel.  Our friends were staying at the other end of the promenade in the AC Marriott, and while I liked their hotel decor, restaurant, and pool better, I definitely preferred the location of Le Meridien Nice.


Room

We got a partial sea-view room so we could see a small sliver of ocean, along with a view of a small alleyway of restaurants and shops.  The room was standard-sized with a nice sitting area.  The "queen" bed was essentially two full beds pushed together, but was comfortable enough. 



The bathroom was a bit outdated but large and clean.  Actually I believe we got a handicapped room because the bathroom was strangely over-sized so I am not sure if all rooms have such large bathrooms.  The Malin & Goetz toiletries were pretty nice.  Good water pressure and plenty of hot water, but the tub stopper kept getting stuck which was a tad annoying.


There was the requisite safe, refrigerator and hot water kettle for instant coffee.




Generally a comfortable room.

Food
We ate at the Terrace restaurant twice - for dinner and lunch.  It's located at the top of the restaurant and offers a wonderful view of the beach.  I would recommend going up there for drinks/snacks - but not for a meal.  The food was just OK and quite overpriced.  (We also had dinner at the restaurant at AC Marriott and the food and service there was better.)  


We also ordered room service which was quite tasty - (about $35-40) for one breakfast. 


As I noted above, McDonalds is right next door which actually worked out well since we picked up a quick espresso there (at the McCafe) on several occasions.  We also enjoyed a sausage Mcmuffin there but unfortunately they didn't have hash browns (boo).


Service
Service was uneven.  Some staff members were friendly and attentive; others were a bit aloof, but polite; and yet others were rather rude and surly.  In my experience, that's pretty common in France so I just tried to go with the flow.  No point in getting upset especially on vacation! 

Gym/Pool/etc.
I didn't work out at all so I have nothing to say about the gym other than I walked by it.

I would have liked to enjoy the pool but it's basically squeezed into a corner next to the Terrace restaurant and surrounded by a wrought iron gate.  There were no lounge chairs since there was no room for any sitting next to the pool other than 2 or 3 bean bags which were practically hanging over the ledge into the pool.  Not really conducive for relaxing ... especially with screaming kids jumping into the small pool.

The pool was quite disappointing, especially when I saw the AC Marriott pool which was quite spacious and zen looking with plenty of lounge chairs.

Check-Out
Again very smooth and easy.  My room was covered by points, but we still had to pay city taxes and for room service, etc.

I almost forgot - I had called to ask for late check-out and the front desk clerk reluctantly agreed to extend to 1pm.  Apparently she later read my profile and realized I was a Starwood Gold member and called back with a much friendlier attitude to say I could extend to 2pm.  (I really should have asked for 4pm which is usually what I get as a Gold member...)  But this type of discriminatory service sort of bothers me, similar to when I watch Pretty Woman and the mean saleswomen on Rodeo wouldn't serve Julia Roberts' character ... but then in Beverly Hills, so many celebrities look like hobos when they shop that most Beverly Hills salespeople know better than to discriminate based on outer appearance...

Final Word
 My review is lukewarm.  I can recommend Le Meridien Nice for its great location; but you can definitely get a better hotel room, amenities and service elsewhere for a similar price. But since I got my room for free, I guess I shouldn't complain.


No comments:

Post a Comment