Wednesday, July 6, 2016

hotel review: sixty les in new york's lower east side

View from our room and my first breakfast at the hotel.

(New York, New York).  Recently my husband and I went to New York for both business and pleasure.  For business we needed to be in the Lower East Side - which worked out well since it's one of my favorite areas in New York to eat and play.  We picked Sixty LES purely for location and fortunately, we were not disappointed, even though our room was a bit small.

Check-in:  It was nice to be greeted by friendly smiling faces after a long red-eye flight, sitting next to a man who was very angry about being placed in the exit row.  My husband had already checked in the day before so I was able to grab a key and go into the office for a quick nap and shower before breakfast.  the whole process was quick, easy and painless.
 
Comfy bed and gorgeous views.


Room:  The room was well-designed and had modern, minimal decor, but it was super small.  It's probably acceptable for one person, but for two people, it's a bit of a squeeze.  So I wouldn't share it with anyone other than my husband or my best friend.

However, the wrap-around wall of windows and the amazing views did make up for the tiny size of the room.  It was my favorite thing about the entire room, besides the oddly comfortable bed.  I spend several relaxing hours looking outside while sipping whiskey. 

Despite its size, the room was designed well to maximize storage - but again, if you have a lot of luggage, upgrade to a larger room.  

Tiny bathroom - and no place to put makeup...

The bathroom was also very modern and the rainfall shower was nice, but it was difficult not to get water everywhere.  And they definitely need more counter space in the bathroom.


LocationThe best thing about this hotel for me is the location - close to several yummy restaurants, great coffee places and fun bars, and right next door to Rockwood Music Hall which has live music almost every night.  

It's also right across the street from the subway station which made going uptown quite convenient.  (In addition, the subway entrance was next to a boba place where everything was dairy-free - which is music to my lactose intolerant self.)  

I was able to explore LES easily and walk to Chinatown, Soho, St Mark's quickly from the hotel.  I was also able to take a quick subway ride to Central Park and Greenwich Village.  Based on location alone, I would totally stay here again - albeit in a larger room. 

 Service:  Very good service throughout the hotel - but especially at the restaurant Blue Ribbon Sushi and for room service.  The bartender was especially lovely in Blue Ribbon - she let me try all sorts of sakes and gave me good recommendations.  


Ahhh - the famous fried chicken - tasty!

Food:  I had breakfast at the restaurant and in my room for several days and each meal was fabulous.  I especially liked the non-dairy oatmeal with fruit and brown sugar - really tasty.  But of course the eggs with crispy bacon was good too!  It was nice to know that the quality and temperature of the food did not vary between dining in the restaurant or having it delivered to your room.  Outstanding!

My favorite breakfast here - healthy and good!

I also had the famous fried chicken and fried rice, of course, as well as lots of sushi at the bar.  It's a tad overpriced.   I think the sushi was just OK, so stick with the cooked foods.

Check-Out: Smooth and easy - no errors on the bill.

Final Thoughts:  This boutique hotel was absolutely lovely.  It's not cheap - but then no decent hotel in NY is ever cheap. I believe we paid about $275 per night.

A coffee place a couple doors from the hotel - really good coffee and bagels.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment