Wednesday, June 8, 2016

hotel review: sheraton new orleans

(New Orleans, Louisiana).  I've been to New Orleans many many times, but this is the first time I've stayed at the Sheraton New Orleans on Canal Street.  Normally I prefer staying in the French Quarter at a classic New Orleans hotel such as the Hotel Monteleone with its famous Carousel Bar or a charming airbnb rental, preferably with a balcony.  But it was French Quarter Festival and I mistakenly believed there would be a lot of vacancies.  Boy was I wrong!  Most of the hotels and good condos were booked, and the remaining rooms were surprisingly expensive.  I settled on the Sheraton for three reasons - first, the price was still reasonable (averaging $260 a night), second, it was a Starwood hotel so I could get extra points, and third, the location was actually very convenient to many of the festival music stages.

Awesome view of the river and the festival.

So how was my stay overall?


Check In - When we entered the hotel lobby area, it seemed very much like a nondescript business/convention hotel.  There was nothing about it that felt very NOLA-esque. In fact, I could have been in Arizona.  While there's nothing wrong with that; if you are visiting New Orleans for the first time you may want to consider something with a more charming, authentic vibe.

While there was a line for Starwood Gold and Platinum members, it seemed to move very slowly.  I actually think the non-Starwood line moved a lot faster.  Regardless, when it was finally our turn, the process went very smoothly and quickly.  They upgraded us to a room on a higher level with a lovely river view.  And for an extra $30 a day, we gained access to the Executive Lounge - which served breakfast, afternoon tea and evening snacks.  (Tip - Be loyal to your travel points/rewards program - whatever it may be - that's the only way you can reap meaningful benefits!)

Location - I had never stayed on Canal Street because I always felt it was too far, but I have to say this Sheraton has a very convenient location.  It was a quick walk to the river, to the French Quarter and to the business district.  I was actually surprised at how easy and quick it was to get everywhere.

We also took several ubers - very convenient and ultimately cheaper than taking taxis.
 
Comfy bed.
Standard bathroom.

Room - The room and bed was spacious and comfortable - pretty standard for a good Sheraton.   They had the expected amenities - coffee maker, safe, complimentary water bottles, etc.  I slept well and didn't notice a lot of outside noise, which is always appreciated. 
Thank you for my morning coffee.
Yay!  a safe!  why do some hotels still not have these things???

My favorite thing was the great view!  We could actually see one of the stages of the French Quarter Festival along the river.
 
Gorgeous night view.
Service - Generally service was good but we didn't use a lot of hotel services since we were out most of the time.  I did have breakfast in the Executive Lounge almost everyday and the service there was quite attentive.

Amenities - Gym/Pool/Executive Lounge - I have to admit I did not work out at the gym since I was walking about 8 miles a day, but I did poke my head in.  Very standard, smallish gym with the requisite treadmills and weights.

I also did a quick check of the pool - which is tiny!  There are some sad looking lounge chairs around the little pool but I couldn't even enjoy the sun because there were so many kids splashing and yelling in the pool.  Not very relaxing at all.

Breakfasting in the Executive Lounge while watching Youtube videos...

The Executive Lounge was very nice and spacious, with several seating areas, televisions and reading material.  The breakfast spread was quite decent - selection of breads, pastries, yogurts and fruit alongside a small selection of hot foods - eggs, bacon, etc.  For the afternoon tea, I got there too late so there was only a sad, almost empty platter of cheese.  It was not the most impressive lounge I've ever encountered, but it was perfectly acceptable.

Check Out - Check out was easy and smooth; and the bill was correct.  That doesn't seem like a big deal but I've noticed many many mistaken hotel bills in the last few years, and I'm starting to suspect it's a common scam.

Last Word.  I enjoyed my stay at the Sheraton and I would probably stay here again (and recommend it) for the location.  But if I really wanted a New Orleans experience, this hotel would not be on the top of my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment