Monday, April 11, 2016

ode to the kanafeh (al moktar in nazareth, israel)

Flat Kanafeh.
What is a Kanafeh?

It is basically a Levantine cheese (cheese from the Levant region) covered with pistachio and shredded phyllo dough. It is soaked in syrup so it is sweet and savory.


What is a flat versus a rolled kanafeh?

Both Kanafehs are basically the same but one is rolled and colored (not with saffron but with other food coloring), and one has pistachios.
Flat Kanafeh tray.
Rolled Kanafeh tray.


Al Moktar in Nazareth
Al Moktar.
I first tried this delectable treat at a small cafe called Al Moktar in Nazareth. They serve the flat and rolled variety.
Rolled Kanafeh.

The folks at Al Moktar could not have been more friendly. They answered my questions about kanafeh, and allowed me to try a small piece. Of course, after trying one, I had to have more (and then some). I particularly liked the kanafehs fresh off the oven because they were crunchier -- the texture was better that way.


The pastries.

While hanging out at Al Moktar, I saw a bunch of people order kanafeh to go. While that sounded like a great idea, note that they poured the syrup over it so the kanafeh might get soggy.

Al Moktar sold other pastries in addition to the kanafeh, such as a variety of baklava with pistachios and/or cashew. Some of them had rose water taste. The tea was also great.


Assortment of pastries.

Mint tea.

I really enjoyed Kanafeh. Have you tried it? What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Awesome food. I want to know more about this Hotels TelAviv. Please share details.

    ReplyDelete